April Showers Bring…

Spokes-Women Chocolate!

by 

Marlene Smith

April, 2004

OK, maybe springtime doesn’t really bring chocolate, but it does ring in our fund-raising time of the year. This is the ONLY time of the year where we raise monies for donation to our various charities. We truly can be proud that ALL of the money raised (that’s 100% to you and me) during our chocolate and raffle sales is donated to our selected charities.

This year, the club membership voted to donate 80% of the funds collected to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation in equal shares. The other 20% will go towards various women’s and children’s charities nominated and approved throughout the year by the club members. Remember, the club’s operating expenses, such as the meeting hall rental and website fees, are funded by your dues and not from the chocolate sales! Though our chocolate orders are already in, the raffle tickets can still be sold right up until the day of the drawing, so don’t hesitate to sell those tickets!

This was truly a wild and wicked Winter and one of the coldest on record. Yet, we had a few of our members crazy enough to qualify for their Polar Bear patch/rocker. Of course for some of us, it came right down to the last ride in order to qualify, but it was an accomplishment nonetheless. Congratulations to all who participated this year and especially to Janie, who qualified for her “Gold” rocker. Of course, if there are any of you who haven’t ridden with the Polar Bear Club, or those who have done so in the past but haven’t for a long time, come join us for next year’s season…at the very least, it’s a great excuse to not have to winterize your scooter and it’s really a very fun time!

As usual, we do have a busy season coming up for this year. Just around the corner is one of our main highlights – Wildwood weekend – which is happening during Memorial Day weekend this year. Because of the holiday, there will be two packages offered for the weekend. The first package runs the usual Friday to Sunday, but the second package extends your stay until Monday. Either way will be a lot of fun! Janet will be providing all of the information needed to book our stay. Thanks Janet!!!

Also, don’t forget MAWMR (Mid-Atlantic Women’s Motorcycle Rally) at the end of June. There are quite a few of us going out to Gettysburg for the trip this year, and the more the merrier. So if you haven’t done so already, be sure to make your reservations. Alex has all of the information you need to complete your booking and join us for a fun time.

Of course, there are many other rides planned, but there may be more we do not know about but you do. Please make sure you let our Ride Captain Barbara know about rides you’d like to see on our schedule! And remember, starting with our May meeting we move to a 9AM meeting time, just so we can ride…yeah, riding…that’s what it’s all about…April Showers brings riding your motorcycle for hours – I like that version better! Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

"Every winter, When the great sun has turned his face away, The earth goes down into a vale of grief, And fasts, and weeps, and shrouds herself in sables, Leaving her wedding-garlands to decay-- Then leaps in spring to his returning kisses."  Charles Kingsley (1819 - 1875), Saint's Tragedy (act III, sc. 1)

[Newsletter][2004 Arcives]


Site design and maintenance by DPW Enterprises

Copyright ©1999-2014
The Spokes-Women Motorcycle Club, Inc.
All rights reserved.