My First Official Column

by 

Marlene Smith

Happy New Year! Well, here we are in a brand new year and already January is flying by! I do hope everyone received all the shiny new toys they wished for during this past holiday season, especially the two-wheeled kind!

 As always, we have a jam packed calendar for 2004. Of course, we have the big rides and events for the year – Daytona Bike Week, Americade, Honda Hoot, MAWMR, along with our smaller, more local rides and club events, such as Wildwood, the Belmar Seafood Festival, AMA District II Corn Boil, just to name a few. This year’s calendar is busy as usual, so if you have a ride that is of interest to you, feel free to chat with our Ride Captain and get it on the calendar. Just remember, you might be asked to lead it too!

 Don’t forget some of the non-riding events that we have for this year, such as the upcoming AMA District II Dinner Dance at the end of January (see Barbara or Dan for tickets) and the Venison Dinner in February (see Laura S. for tickets).

 Of course, we are not just about riding, but about the good deeds we do as a club. There are so many opportunities we have as a group to share with those in need. We have our main charities, the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation charities, that receive 80% of our monies. Those smaller, but no less important organizations, receive the remaining 20%. I believe that with such a generous group as ours, we’ll have a banner year for those charities that are near and dear to our hearts. Our chocolate and raffle ticket sales are the only fund raiser we have for these organizations, so I am asking all of you to start thinking about how your hard work reflects on the funds we can provide to these groups. As usual, I am sure you will not disappoint these organizations that have come to count on our donations.

 I would also like to take this opportunity to formally thank those officers who served on the Board for 2003, and those club members that have stepped forward to serve on the 2004 Board. It takes a lot of time and effort to serve the club, whether in a Board position or not, but those that did serve on the Board deserve a special thanks from the rest of us. Our organization thrives because of our membership and the contributions from all of us as a whole. Remember to stop once in awhile and give yourselves a pat on the back, you deserve it! A big thanks to all of you for making this organization what it is today!

"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity."  - Francis Maitland Balfour

[2004]


Site design and maintenance by DPW Enterprises

Copyright ©1999-2014
The Spokes-Women Motorcycle Club, Inc.
All rights reserved.